“…the biggest part was that a lot of them (students) have started piggy banks at home with their parents…”
-Maria Roman, Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA Preschool Director
Dream Big Seeds Take Root
The first Sammy Rabbit Dream Big Read experiences with 4 and 5 year old were conducted on Friday, May 26, at the Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA.
The expriences included:
- Reading Sammy’s Big Dream!
- Discussion of story
- Review of key vocabulary: Dream – Save – Habit
- Singing, dancing, clapping to the song S.A.V.E.
So what has resulted in the two weeks after the initial Dream Big Read experiences took place at the Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA? We were curious to know. Here is what Y Preschool Director Maria Roman shared in our interview..
We were very pleased to discover kids are understanding and sharing the lessons they are learning from Sammy’s Dream Big Read program.
Below is a summary of key take aways from our interview with Ms. Roman.
- Y teachers provide children the opportunity to talk about the book (i.e. about a big dream, working hard, saving money, and persevering through challenges to make a big dream come true)
- Teachers reviewed the storybook with students for comprehension. Kids were able to retell and answer questions about the story
- Y instructors discovered students talked with their parents at home about what they learned
- Parents asked teachers questions about the program
- Kids and parents on their own started building piggy banks at home
- Ms. Roman shared and connected her recent completion of college education with program lessons as a ‘real life’ example for kids to relate to
- Teachers are continuing to instruct and build on lessons with students
- Activities have been easy to implement
We hope everyone capitalizes on these insights to prepare and empower kids to have bright futures and make lots of big dreams come true!
About the Dream Big Read Program
Sammy Rabbit’s Dream Big Read is a program that makes it easy for anyone to teach, talk about and promote financial literacy, especially to young children and their parents. The program includes lessons on money, goal setting, strategic habits and life skills. It typically starts by reading the storybook Sammy’s Big Dream. That is then followed by one or more educational experiences determined by instructors from a menu of over 160 activities. The activities have a wide array of options to reinforce and expand learning that include coloring the storybook, vocabulary games, music, crafts, and more.
Learn how to lead a Dream Big Read in your community.